Monday, July 19, 2010

Good Bye Daisy Mae

On Saturday my mom and I had to make one of the hardest decisions we've ever had to make. 
The Thursday before, I had taken Daisy Mae to the vet, because she hadn't eaten in about 3 days and had been vomiting. They kept her over night, giving her antibiotics & put in an IV to flush her system. Friday when we went to check on her and go over her blood work, the prognosis wasn't looking very good. She was still very jaundiced and still hadn't eaten anything, so they kept her over night again, in hopes that there would be a little bit of improvement. Mom and I were preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best.
Saturday morning was very somber, we didn't have a lot to say to each other. When we went in to the exam room to talk to the vet mom and I were braced for what was about to come. There had been no improvement, at this point she hadn't eaten in almost a week, and she wasn't going to get better, her live had shut down. Mom & I knew that Daisy Mae was suffering, it would be selfish of us to keep her in that condition. 
We spent a while with her, we sat on the floor and she laid between us. I told her how much she meant to me, that she was the sweetest dog anyone could ever ask for, and that this was not her fault! Daisy Mae gave me kisses & a hug, while I rubbed her chest, she had lost so much weight in such a short amount of time. It seemed like she was reassuring me and mom, that we were doing the right thing, that she was ready and it was going to be okay. Through a waterfall of tears we said our final good bye, and as I write this at this moment my keyboard is being flooded with tears. I know it was the unselfish & right thing to do, she will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge with Polly, Trixie, & Duke, our beloved dogs from years past. Daisy Mae was an angle in doggie clothes, and I am so grateful for the time I've had with her! I miss her more than words can describe, our other three dogs; Bodie, Kula, & Max; miss her too, I can see the sadness in there eyes. Daisy Mae wouldn't want us to be sad, but to look back on our time together and SMILE!!!

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

No comments:

Post a Comment